Monday, September 22, 2014

Elder Shields

We were able to enjoy having my nephew, Derek, stay with us for about a week before he went in the MTC.  We did a little shopping and Derek really wanted to go backpacking.  I'd been planning on going but thought better of it since all I really felt like doing at 7(ish) weeks pregnant was sleeping on the couch. So, Caroline and I stayed home while the boys hiked Maple Mountain which is just south of Springville and very visible from our house. Jared called me the next morning and said, "Can you see us?!?"  So I got the binoculars (and was in a bathrobe since I was about to step in the shower when he called)  and was out in the backyard looking at the mountain- I can only imagine what the neighbors were thinking- and after much scrutiny I was able to make out the waving arms of my husband on top of mountain.
I was very glad to hear that neither one of them got eaten by a bear- or elk- or moose- or whatever was making very loud breathing sounds around Jared's tent.  It was apparently a pretty tough hike and it was cool for Derek to be able to see almost the whole Provo mission from the top of the mountain.

Old man ridges couldn't handle his pack- or was just being really dramatic.  


Derek's cool hammock set-up.

The camping spot.



Utah County

Jared at the summit.

Derek at the summit.


1 comment:

  1. I had only seen the ones Tisha posted on facebook, so I liked seeing these, too. That's fun that you were able to see them! : )

    ReplyDelete