Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Caterpillars in the Kitchen


One day I was sitting on the couch feeding my kid- a very common occurrence- when I looked over and saw a caterpillar crawling on the floor in the kitchen- not such a common occurrence.  So I caught it, stuck it in a jar with some corn husks and spinach and called it good.
Seeing how finding a caterpillar in the kitchen is pretty out of the ordinary you can imagine my surprise when the next day I was feeding Caroline and I looked over to see ANOTHER caterpillar moseying across the kitchen. What?!
Conveniently I already had a caterpillar habitat so I threw in #2.  Jared and I looked online to see what the potential was for our impromptu pets and we discovered that we would have some lovely moths.  The caterpillars lived happily in the jar for 4-5 days and when they started slowing down I asked Jared to set them free.  My rationale for releasing them was complex:
1. If they did build cocoons and turn into flying creatures I didn't really want them flying around inside my house.
2. There's much more fresh vegetation outside and their jar was getting a little crowded with partially eaten leaves.
3. And most importantly because there was a very real possibility they would die in that jar and I didn't want that on my conscience.

It was fun having pets for a little while.

2 comments:

  1. This gave me a chuckle. Remember when we put all those caterpillars in the empty fish tank on the back porch and they all turned into moths? But that was before internet was "a thing" and we had hopes they'd be butterflies. How anti-climatic that they all became ugly moths. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! Great post :) And very well written. I do love good literature.

    ReplyDelete