Sunday, April 14, 2013

Spring Break in California

For our last hurrah as a two-some we I decided that I wanted to go on a big trip during my week-off from work for spring break.  We had hoped to go to South Carolina but the price of plane tickets nixed that idea. After considering what was within driving distance we decided to head to the west coast where I was hoping to get in my ocean fix for the next long while.  While the ocean was beautiful, the mist, wind, and rain kept us from enjoying is quite as much as I would have liked.  We still had a good time visiting on Easter with Lewis and Natalie Gunter in San Jose and then spending the rest of the week with Seth and Kim Smith (formerly Stephenson- a former mission companion).  Kim and Seth live in Daly City just outside of San Francisco so Jared and I spent a Monday wandering the city and Tuesday we took off with Seth and Kim down the coast and enjoyed the beautiful redwoods and scenic coastline. We camped in a few different State Parks and enjoyed a few hikes.  It was a great trip with great company!

Salt flats. This was the only thing that was picture worthy from Salt Lake City to Lake Tahoe (sorry Nevada). 

Bay Bridge


When we first drove on the Golden Gate Bridge I thought we weren't even going to be able to see it...

But then 2 seconds later the fog was gone!  (Nice crack in the windshield, huh?)

The Bay

San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge

Random lighthouse and tractor along the coast

There was some pretty scenery along highway 1, despite the lack of sunshine.

The sun finally came back (for a little while, at least)! Jared was so excited about it he tried to take a picture, but a giant redwood got in the way. Dang trees. Oh yeah, this is in Big Sir State Park.

Hiking in the misty woods of Limekiln State Park.

Pretty waterfall in Limekiln State Park

Jackets quickly became superfluous when the clouds cleared. And boy what a view from Buzzards Roost in Big Sir! We didn't see any buzzards roosting, but the radio tower and maintenance shack were totally worth the hike. . .

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip! Guess I hadn't heard any details because I didn't realize you had done any of that stuff. Lol nice touch of sarcasm, too. Gave me a chuckle. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! Glad you guys got to go (and glad that I knew about it before...just shows how out of the loop Crystal is :) ). When you're ready for another trip...I hear Arkansas is a real tourist trap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily wins on the funny comments, so I won't try to compete (but I also knew about the trip - yay me!). Glad you were able to go, Sara. Enjoyed the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun. So glad you got a babymoon trip in. You should take another one if you get a chance. Too bad we still didn't live in CA, we would have loved to see you.

    ReplyDelete