Sunday, January 13, 2013

Frosty Campout

Jared and I decided to take advantage of some unseasonably warm weather in November and went camping on Thanksgiving weekend.  Unfortunately I'd only taken three pictures that evening before my camera died.  I was sad that I didn't get to take any pictures of our hike to Paul Bunyan's woodpile (a very cool lava formation).

We went camping out past Eureka Utah and there was frost on our tent when we woke up- surprisingly  I wasn't overwhelmingly cold and slept pretty well.  The next morning we packed up and drove to the trail head to go hike.

Sad and kind of gross story about the drive to the trail head:  It was a beautiful beautiful day and we were driving down this dirt road.  We'd gone over a cattle guard right when we turned off of the main road and then we made our little camp about a mile in.  The trail-head was about another two miles further in.  We were beebopping along and I saw a horse in the distance.  I was a little surprised because we hadn't seen any other livestock.  As our little dirt road kept winding we got closer and closer to the horse only to discover that it was dead and had gotten completely stuck in another cattle guard.  I mean, all four legs stuck way down in there. It was very very sad.  Thankfully, the horse was considerate enough to get stuck far enough to the side so we could still pass.  It  was very sad- and it had obviously been there for quite some time but I have no idea who you call about that or how they would get it out.  It was memorable, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is sad indeed. I hardly remember any of the post about the camp/hike. Now all I can think about is that poor horse. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete